Friday, October 1, 2010

The Dream Act

In "The Dream Act needs honest debate, not partisan maneuvering", the author seems to be addressing legislatures about giving The Dream Act a fair chance at an open debate. Unfortunately, the author is not listed for this article, so their credibility is not known. The Dream Act is a legislation that would benefit 700,000 to 2 million people by allowing people, who were brought into the US. illegally as children with their parents, to gain citizenship by graduating high school and then either attending college or joining the military and avoiding a criminal record. The author believes that the act would give people with great potential, who consider the U.S. their home a better chance at life. The author seems to be in favor of this act and believes that Congress is not giving it the time it deserves, and even avoiding debating it. As of late, the author points out, congress has been using the excuse that it's election season to avoid debating The Dream Act. Also, when it was proposed to attach the act to a $725 billion defense spending bill, some said it was disrespectful to the troops.

Though the credibility of the author is unknown, I still chose to discuss this article because I had no idea The Dream Act even existed and I think a honest debate would definitely be fair. It would help millions, increase the education level, and increase the number of military recruits. Illegal, or not, most immigrants aren't going anywhere, and I believe that education is a good thing, and I believe this bill would greatly increase the desire of people to seek higher education.

No comments:

Post a Comment