In 1933, the twenty-first amendment was ratified, repealing the eighteenth amendment, which banned the sale, production, and transportation of alcohol in the United States. It's been nearly seventy-seven years since the passage of the twenty-first amendment; however, some municipalities seem to be a little behind in the times. Martindale, Texas, located about thirty-six miles South of Austin, is one of these towns. During the end of World War II, Martindale was a thriving town, responsible for a large majority of the corn and cottonseed produced in Texas. Now, Martindale, a town on the brink, gets most it's revenue from speeding tickets, as reported by The Austin Statesman. On Tuesday, November 2nd, voters will be voting on whether or not to lift the ban on alcohol sales in Martindale. Many believe that this will bring some much needed revenue and business to Matindale.
Until I moved to Texas two years ago, I had no clue there were places that still had bans on alcohol sales, I see them as very outdated. Today, alcohol is a normal part of our society. I just turned twenty-one on Monday and I cannot tell you how many people told me they were disappointed in me for not getting completely smashed on my birthday. As proven by all the bootlegging that took place during prohibition, if people want to drink they are going to find a way. Alcohol bans are unsafe and non-profitable. Having a ban on alcohol just gives Martindale's money to other nearby cities which are not dry. It is also going to make the roads more unsafe. People are going to have to drive father from their homes to a wet city, though it is illegal, many are going to drive home still intoxicated.
I had no idea Martindale was a dry town. I drive through there all the time to get to my in-laws house and I was warned long ago that Martindale was a speed trap and your article explains why that is. I completely agree that having a dry town in this day and age is just silly and is a waste of perfectly good taxable money. Maybe they figure that if they make residence of Martindale drive farther to get drunk than they will have a lot more drunk drivers and therefore more tickets will be administered giving the town more money. The taxes on alcohol in Texas are pretty low, ($2.40spirits, $0.204wine, $0.20beer per gallon) but it would still help out the community a lot. Considering that the residence in Martindale make below the average income for the state of Texas, you would think they would like more of taxes they are spending to go into their community.
ReplyDelete